[24hoursupport] Re: Is it okay to never shut computers down?

  • From: Fuzzy Logic <fuzzman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 09:38:55 -0400 (EDT)

This is a very hotly debated topic, so here is my take.  If you are going
to be shutting it down and leaving it off for over 2 hours, do shut it
down.  If it will be off for less than 1 hour, leave it on.  In between
those times, I consider it a tossup.

You might tell your boss to not underestimate the amount of power 30 or so
computers running all night (with monitors, I assume) can consume.

Now, all this said, I leave my computers on 24 hours a day, because I work
on a project that uses spare cycles, and I have constant internet
connection.

Fuzzy
Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur.

On Sun, 21 Jul 2002 Lpagsugu@xxxxxx wrote:

> At work, manager hates it when we shut down computers.  Outside of the fact
> that we could save electricity by shutting down the comps, should we just
> leave them on continuously?  Pros/cons?  Thanks.
>
> Lene

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at