[24hoursupport] Re: Invalid disk and more problems....

  • From: Barry Aronson <baronson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 01:45:49 -0500

Ewen! There has to be a i386 folder on the CD. This is where all the boot files are located. Try to find a file called makeboot.exe. this is the file that will allow you to make the 4 floppy disks needed to setup Windows 2000 and they will have repair functions in the alternative as well.. But none of this is going to work unless you make sure that your CD drivers are installed.

Also did you format the drive after you made the partition? More info please and relax just slow down and think what you did. Is there more than one operating system on your computer? Were you upgrading from another system? Your thread is not completely clear to me as to what it is that you did on the install.

Let me know when you can,

At 14:50 8/27/2002 +0900, you wrote:

I was looking for the i386 in Windows CD as well but failed to fine it,
since the file list displayed is apparently not that from Win CD (as you
said, maybe from the Virtual drive that was setup by the boot disk). I do
not know how this could happen. It appears to be that the CD-drive is nor
recognised. But I checked the BIOS, the CD drive is there...

I anticipate more. Thanks!

Ewen

At A: I can go to C: and D:, the partiopns, and E: , the CD-ROM drive.

----- Original Message ----- From: "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@xxxxxxxxx> To: <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 12:39 PM Subject: [24hoursupport] Re: Invalid disk and more problems....

> You are looking at the Virtual drive that was setup by the boot disk. Try > looking at D or F. Anyway to run setup for a formatted disk using win2000 > you have to run winnt.exe from within the I386 folder on the cd. A faster > way would be to copy the I386 folder to your HD and run winnt.exe from > there. > > > Now hiring Independent Sales agents World wide. High commission please see > www.seedsv.com for more info. > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Ewen Howe" <ewenhowe@xxxxxxxxxxx> > To: "[24hrsupporthelpdesk]" <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> > Sent: Monday, August 26, 2002 8:02 PM > Subject: [24hoursupport] Invalid disk and more problems.... > > > > I have run into some probelms in attempt to clean-set up a Win2000pro to > my > > Pt4 desktop with newly formated and partitioned HDD. I replaced the > > motherboard with a new P4B266 from Asus. So, basically this is a plain PC > > without anything in HDD and I could use DOS only. After carefully checking > > around making sure everthing was ready, I switched on the power. Shortly, > > the starting stopped at 'an invalid system disk, please replace....try > > again', while I was sure there was nothing in the FDD. If I booted with a > > boot disk aquired from Win98, I was brought to the A:\ without problem. I > > could even move around different drives. However, when I inserted > Win2000pro > > CD into CD rom and type 'dir' under E:\ (the CD-ROM), I was shown a list > of > > files that are surely not from the Win CD. Later I found that no matter > what > > CD I insert or even no CD inserted, I was shown the same list of file when > > 'dir'ed. So, I guess there must be something wrong and likely the CD-ROM > was > > not recognized. I got into the BIOS (AWARD) and could not figure out > > anything abnormal, accept the BIOS layout appears to be different from > what > > I used before, a same AWARD BIOS.... Can anyone tell me what could be > going > > wrong before I get intouch with the maker of MB? Or, I misunderstood the > way > > of setting up Win2000 with that of Win98? Thanks a lot! > > > > Ewen

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at

Barry ~ baronson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx