[24hoursupport] Re: Internal or External Hard drive?

  • From: Joe Parker <joe.parker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 20:39:34 -0500

Be sure it's either USB*2* or 1394 (firewire). The external USB(1.1) drives
- often referred to as simply 'USB', are way too slow to be worth the trouble.

For either USB2 or 1394 you'll likely need a PCI controller card - only the
newest PCs have them built in. Usually quite painless to add one and
they're cheap - under $50 USD.

It's worth it if you have a lot of media files that you need to access
quickly and/or move among computers. Don't forget though - any hard drive
can only be considered *temporary* storage. They can and do fail suddenly
and without warning. If you need to archive these files for the ages use cdr.

>I'm thinking of adding an additional hard drive.  I have tons of media
>files and they are eating a lot of hard drive space.  I saw an external
>hard drive w/about 80GB of space that connects via USB and I'm thinking
>about it.  It would be faster to set up b/c I don't have to disconnect the
>comp and crack it open.  I know there is an extra bay for another hard
>drive, but I don't know anything about connecting it to the motherboard or
>whatever.  I have 2 USB ports on the front of my comp, and 2 more in the
>back.
>
>My question is if there is an advantage to having an internal drive as
>opposed to an external one?

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at