[24hoursupport] Re: I'm Back -- I hope!

  • From: Ron Allen <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "M.Thakur" <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 23:14:03 -0600

Hello Madhup,

MT> I thought that I would let it pass but my craving for "I told you
MT> so" does not allow me to.Nearly an year ago we had a discussion on
MT> this group regarding keeping the PC switched on 24/7/52. I was the
MT> lone and vociferous proponent of the theory that *in case you do
MT> not need to use the PC for the next couple of hours,* power it
MT> down( the same goes for other electrical equipments). The two
MT> valid reasons are (1) it saves power. (2) no surge protector is as
MT> goooooooooood as the power switch.

Urk. Well... I definitely am re-thinking that at this point. In my
defense, I very seriously have never had any reason to doubt my
previous line of reasoning until now. Not only was the philosophy of
"leave it on 24/7/52" taught to me by various people over the years,
but my own 15+ years of experience certainly seemed to validate the
idea. My suggesting and defending the idea was not done in bad faith.

MT> You guys living in affluent countries are spoiled by faultless
MT> lines and clean power.

Yikes! I don't want to really go where that statement might lead,
especially not in light of the current political climate in the world.
But I will say this: I don't deny I live in an affluent country, and I
don't even deny that, by some people's standards, I'm spoiled by it.
But no way do I accept that we have faultless lines and clean power,
not now! :)

MT> BTW it is always heartening to learn that you are back, and with
MT> good vigour too. Welcome back my friend!!!

It is good to be back, thank you. Only 10 or 12 more hours of work to
have everything reinstalled... sigh :)