[24hoursupport] I'm Back -- I hope!

  • From: Ron Allen <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 19:37:57 -0600

Hello List,

I have just installed my email program on my new computer. It has been
a long, difficult, and expensive 10 days or so for me.

As you may recall from my messages early last week, both of my
computers failed almost at the same time with unknown problems that I
could not resolve. That left me with no access to my financial
records, or any other personal data, and with only very limited access
to email and the web from my computer at work.

After consulting all of you, plus technical support people where I
work plus support techs from two different companies I do business
with, my other two machines remain large and expensive paper weights.
My best information at this time is that I will have to replace the
motherboards. I'm going to try to find a motherboard for my old
P3 machine, and have that machine become my backup computer.

In the meantime, I have taken a deep breath, and reached deep into the
old wallet, and this weekend just passed I have bought all of the
components for a new computer, built the new system, and have just
finished installing Windows XP Pro, ZoneAlarm, PC-Cillin, and my email
program. I still have at least a few days of software installation and
system tweaking to finally get everything back in order.

I have documented the building of this system, and will be putting
together a detailed web site to show the process step by step. So
something beneficial, I hope, will come of this.

I also can't say I'm totally upset about the experience. I would have
preferred to have chosen the time, but I still have eneded up with a
very satisfactory system. For those of you who like specs, here are
the specs on my new system:

Antec 1080AMG Plus server case, 430 watt p/s, 3 built-in case fans
ASUS P4PE Motherboard with 6 USB2 ports and built-in gigabyte ethernet
Pentium 4 2.5GHz CPU with 512K cache
512 megabytes 2100 DDR RAM
2 120 gigabyte Maxtor hard drives, total 240 gigabytes storage
16x/40x DVD/CD drive
52x CD-Writer
GeForce4 Ti 4600 video card
Audigy2 sound card and front panel drive

My new system is perhaps not the absolute bleeding edge... but it's
pretty close :)

I'm now going to continue getting everything reinstalled, and I have
over 1000 emails to catch up on. But I am back, barring any further
unforeseen problems.