[24hoursupport] Re: IE 4

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 16:57:23 -0700

Hi 0e6,
MS has a free Cd available that will include the update to IE6.
I have used it on a P150, as well as my mmx233 laptop, both running Windows
98SE.

Windows Update CD
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp
Order the Windows Security Update CD
Updated Date: April 16, 2004

The Windows Security Update CD will be shipped to you free of charge. This
CD includes Microsoft critical updates released through October 2003 and
information to help you protect your PC. In addition, you will also receive
a free antivirus and firewall trial software CD.

This CD is only available for Windows XP, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows
98, and Windows 98 Second Edition (SE).

Please allow 2-4 weeks for delivery.

Your system should handle IE6 without problems.

See my Anti-Virus pages
<http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/mikes_virus_page.htm>
A Technical Support Alliance & OWTA Charter Member

On 19/06/2004 at 3:52 PM 0e60wq102@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi, Sorry, but asking a person of my skill level to go into regedit is like
asking a three-year-old to go play inside the household power box with a
screwdriver. I have Win98 and run IE 4.72.3110 and I want to upgrade to
whatever a P3 500 can handle and don't know where to get it.

--- "Mike mikebike-at-telus.net |24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx|"
<b3qvhzj2g60t@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi 0e6,
you can frequently find the updated versions of the free CD's in computer
magazines.

Or you could try here;
http://www.rselby.com/ReinstallorRepairInternetExplorer6.htm
Quote;
Edit the Registry and Install Internet Explorer 6
While you are logged on as an administrator, click Start, and then click
Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled
(REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify. To reinstall only the Internet
Explorer 6 browser component on Windows XP, use the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\
Active Setup\Installed Components\
{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}
To reinstall only Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, use the following
registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\
Active Setup\Installed Components\
{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}
Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.
Quit Registry Editor, and then download and install Internet Explorer 6. For
information about how to download and install Internet Explorer 6, visit the
following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.asp
After you use the procedures in this article, you must reinstall any updates
to Windows XP again.

Mike ~

On 18/06/2004 at 10:22 PM 0e60wq102@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I have IE 4.72.3110. I once tried to download an update, and after all that
waiting, it told me it could not do it. Where can I get the appropriate
update to download? Thanks.