[24hoursupport] Re: Hi Gang

  • From: "Ron Allen" <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 18:14:27 -0600

>I have an HP 751n with 256 meg of ram. My ram is pc2100 133mhz and I only
>have 1 256 stick.
>I want to buy a 512 stick and not sure exactly what I can and can't use. I=

>understand that if I wish to add to the 256 that I already have I must get=

>the exact type of ram that I already have. But my other concern is that if
>were to remove the 256 stick and just put in a 512 stick can I change the
>type of ram that I use? would it be possible to use a 512 pc2700 at=
 333mhz?

Hi JD,

I don't have any direct experience with DDR RAM, but to the best of my=
 knowledge it works similarly to the way standard SDRAM works. As you say,=
 if you want to use your current RAM along with a new module, they both=
 have to be PC2100. If you want to replace the RAM entirely, it depends on=
 what your computer is designed for but the safest is to say that the same=
 speed or slower will work in your machine. Now AFAIK, 2100 is the slowest=
 rating for DDR so my *guess* would be that no, you can't upgrade to faster=
 DDR RAM. What kind of motherboard do you have?

Hopefully someone else here may have a better, more solid answer for you.

Welcome to the list :)

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at