[24hoursupport] Hello New Members

  • From: "Ron Allen" <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 01:18:40 -0500

Hello to all new list members!

My name is Ron Allen, and I am a moderator on this list. The list owner is
Spider, aka Jerry Mills.

As Jerry has said in a previous message...

)You have happened upon this list in it's formative state on
)freelists which is why you have not seen much going on.  We are in the
)process of investigating the move of an existing mailing list on Yahoo
)Groups.  There presently are over 600 members on that list and it is
)quite active.  I am not sure how many will be moving to this list when I
)decide to make the announcement, but I assume there will be a fairly
)good number of them making the move.  If you want to check out our
)present list you can see that at
)http://groups.yahoo.com/group/24hrsupporthelpdesk/ .  You will see from
)the message archive there that we have been in existence for over 3
)years now.

If anyone has any questions related to computers, please ask away. If
someone asks a question and you know the answer, please don't hesitate to
answer. The beauty of these lists is that all members can help each other.

A little background on myself: I'm 37 years old, and have been involved
with computers daily in some capacity since about 1985. My first computer
was a Commodore 64 system, and I have since owned a Commodore Amiga, and
several PCs. I have also worked with Apple IIe and early Macintosh systems,
and even a few mainframes. I have built my last two PC systems from
scratch, designing them from the ground up and building them myself. I
currently have a network in my home consisting of three computers, one
running Windows ME, another running Windows XP Professional, and the third
running Mandrake Linux. In the past, I served as Database Manager on a
forum on the old online service Delphi. I have designed, implemented, and
served as Web Master on numerous web sites. I also enjoy playing
first-person 3-D computer games,  have co-authored a book on creating
levels for the computer game Doom, and was hired to create levels for a
game based on the Quake2 engine called HacX2 that, unfortunately, never
made it to market. My interest in computers is both personal and
professional. In addition to my hobby interests, I have been an instructor
teaching general Windows usage and Peachtree Accounting software, done
telephone technical support for Windows and Peachtree, and done on-site
consulting for various aspects of software and hardware selection. For the
past 6 years, I have been a database application programmer/developer
working with Microsoft Access as well as Oracle using both UDMS (User
Database Management System), SQL*Plus, and Crystal Reports. The Oracle
installation I work with is running on a Unix server. I program daily in
Visual Basic, Visual Basic for Applications, SQL, and SQL*Plus. I also
served on the Intranet Development Committee for my employer, assisting in
making technical decisions on hardware and software to implement a national
corporate intranet for the company. I have never had any formal training in
computers; in fact, I'm planning to return to college in the fall to
finally obtain my bachelor's in computer science!

Ron

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface.