[24hoursupport] Hard drive (big) problems!

  • From: <mike.brown1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 13:28:23 +0000

Hello all

I cannot access my hard drive. Yesterday afternoon I got some nasty sounding
chugs from it and a warning that data might be lost - I ran scandisk in Windows
which claimed to have sorted things out and then scandisk in DOS, which seemed
to contradict Windows by finding several bad sectors (approx 20 at 3 separate
sections of the disk). All fine for a while, I foolishly thought, and set the
drive to defragment while I popped out, only to return to a frozen screen.

Upon reboot, the drive isn't recognised. "Disk boot failure, insert system disk
and press enter", is the message and "NONE" is ominously listed in the Primary
drive info section.

This morning, on first attempt, it DID boot up to windows but then crashed
before I could do anything when the chugs started again, but since then it
hasn't got anywhere past the "disk boot failure" message. So,...

I guess the drive is on the way out, yes? But can I rescue my data? And if so,
how? Or, (I remain a hopeless optimist) can it be saved altogether?

Thanks in advance for your help
MIKE

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at