[24hoursupport] Re: Hard Disk Failure

  • From: "John Kitson" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 05:43:17 +0100

Hi Inyang
It looks more likely that your primary IDE channel has failed, make your
hard drive secondary master, if it boots then, you can rule out problems
with the drive. Then try connecting the drive as primary master alone,
go into setup (f4) and see what it says in "auto-detect hard drives" (or
something similar, depends on your flavour of bios) if your hard drive's
not being recognised at all and your primary IDE channel has died then
it's time for a new motherboard. But make sure you check (and double
check) all cable connections and their orientation, all jumper settings
(master, slave, CS) on your drives.Experiment with single drives on the
primary IDE channel and see what happens.
I had an IDE channel that wouldn't work once because a metal stand-off
had become wedged inder the motherboard and was shorting the connectors,
unlikely in your case, but you never know!

Good Luck
John