[24hoursupport] Fwd: Partitioning an external hard drive (correcting fourth paragraph)

  • From: "Paul M. King" <peking7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 23:54:51 -0800

The final sentence of the fourth paragraph should read "Partition Magic 8"
instead of "Drive Image 7".

PK

Subject: [24hoursupport] Partitioning an external hard drive

I have worked my way into a corner with some fuzzy thinking about
partitioning and formatting an external hard drive. I have an XP Home
system and a 40 gig USB linked external Maxtor 3000SL HD which I divided
into four partitions, all formatted, using XP's drive management utility.

I used Drive Image 7 to clone my internal HD (Hitachi). Then I read the
external drive to verify that the clone had migrated to the external drive.
It had.

Then I later attempted with DI 7 to update the external drive clone. That's
about when the s***  began to hit the fan. When I attempted to read the
external drive again with XP, there was nothing there.

I have checked the MS and Maxtor knowledge bases without a great deal of
enlightenment. But I saw some posts at the Maxtor site which seemed to
indicate that the external hard drive must be partitioned with XP's disk
management utility.  The posts did not say specifically not to use a third
party tool like DI 7 to partition, however.

The cause may be that I disconnected the USB drive from my computer before
clicking on the systray icon which says "Safely Remove Hardware" and lists
all USB devices active at that moment.

I am still not sure exactly how I caused my cloned OS and files to
disappear. Anybody steer me in the right direction? I'll be googling for an
answer before I check back here.

Meanwhile, I backed everything up on CDs.

Paul King

-- ** Remove the anti-virus footer, ads, and this line and everything below
when replying **

For a web-based membership management utility and information on list
policies, please see http://www.freelists.org/webpage/24hoursupport To

This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system. http://www.nod32.com