[24hoursupport] Fwd: Fwd: Partitioning an external hard drive (correcting fourth paragraph)

  • From: "Paul M. King" <peking7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 13:23:44 -0800

Friends:

I have found MS Knowledge Base articles # 133240 and #310575 which led to a
solution of my dilemma.

If you run XP and disengage the USB connection while an external hard drive
is active, you will be unable to "see" the contents of that hard drive
which may have been corrupted.

You can check the integrity of the drive's contents by plugging the USB
device into another port on your computer or into the USB port of a second
computer if you have one on hand.

The inoperative USB port can be reconfigured by following the MSKB
troubleshooting routine outlined in the two articles I have cited above.

This cure should work with other USB devices which have been accidently
disconnected while the device is active.

A warning: When a USB device is connected and running properly, an icon
will appear in the systray. Always click on the icon and select the option
for safe removal before unplugging any active external device.

My external USB devices are all connected by a second cable to my surge
suppressor and thus to household AC current. I can't tell you at this point
if the newer USB devices, which draw current through their USB cable
directly from their CPU, behave in the same manner when improperly
disconnected.

Paul King

--
** Remove the anti-virus footer, ads, and this line and everything below when
replying **

please see //www.freelists.org/webpage/24hoursupport