[24hoursupport] Re: FDD is not recognised, can you help?

  • From: "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 16:54:16 -0700

Do you know that the win98 boot disk creates a ramdisk? In other words,
it uses a chunk of ram to act like a drive, and on that ramdrive it
places a number of utilities.When you use the format /s option, the
format program needs to find the location of the command processor. It
sounds like it might not know where it is. Watch the screen as you boot
to see which letter the ramdrive is assigned.You might need to jockey
between that drive and the floppy. Don't assume that your normal drive
letters are used. I would try again watching for any text coming on the
screen that might be useful. -- d

Ewen Howe wrote:

>In an attempt to format C: for a clean installation of OS, I used Win98 boot
>disks (2) to boot start into the A: prompt, where I supposed to format C:
>/s. But, I was asked to 'insert a MS-DOS disk to A:....' that I do not know
>what I should do. Then I moved around different drives, i.e D: (a partion of
>HDD), E: and F: (two ROMs), but was never allowed to go back to A: again
>when I typed A:, saying 'Inaccessible, Abort? Failed? Exit?'. Then, I had to
>move E: or F: where I formatted the C: successfully. Any problem of the FDD?
>If so, how it run the Win98 boot disks smoothly? Can anyone tell me what was
>wrong. Thanks!
>
>Ewen
>- Users can unsubscribe from this list by sending email to
>24hoursupport-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the
>Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at
>http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1/24hrsupport.htm.

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at