[24hoursupport] Re: External HD boot

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 19:56:40 -0800

Hi Allen,
you can use comerical programs like Drive Copy, which will colne you
existing hard drive, or imaging programs like Ghost or Drive Image.

XXCopy is a free utility you can use;
http://www.xxcopy.com/
XXCOPY, which is an enhanced version of xcopy, does not copy long file names
either in native dos - only in Windows dos. But yes, it copies hidden and
system files, and overwrites read-only files.
You can clone a drive with it but only works with  Windows9x.   If you copy
a drive with Windows NT/2000 or XP on it,  the clone won't be bootable - you
just end up with a copy of your entire drive.  xxcopy doesn't touch the
Master Boot Record(MBR)
To clone your c drive to a new drive, install the new drive as D:,
partition and format it,  and then just enter the following command at a
Windows Dos prompt:

XXCOPY  C:\  D:\  /CLONE

Then remove your c drive and install the d drive as your primary drive.
Boot up with a Windows startup disk, enter cmos and let it autodetect your
drives.
Then at the A: prompt, type FDISK and make the new drive active and
bootable.

Karen from Karen's Power Tools also makes a good free program;

 Look for Replicator v1.8.7 at:
 http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

Replicator
Automatically backup files, directories, even entire drives!
Karen's Replicator copies selected files from one drive/folder to another.
Source and Destination folders can reside anywhere on your network.
Files larger than 2 GB are supported.
Options include repeated copies at intervals as short as a few minutes, or
as long as several months, copy only files that have changed, and the
replication of file deletions."

I hope this helps
http://www.mwn.ca/         UPDATED 30/10/03
See my Anti-Virus pages    UPDATED 31/10/03
<http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/mikes_virus_page.htm>
A Technical Support Alliance Charter Member

On 31/10/2003 at 4:31 PM Allen Hall wrote:

I have an an external HD.  Is there a way I can get the computer (OS XP) to
automatically access the external HD if the internal one doesn't
boot?  What programs would I have to copy to the external HD?

Thanks.