[24hoursupport] Re: Error Codes

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 16:29:57 -0800

Hi Chris,
I don't have an answer, but it appear the messages may be linked to a failed
install as the are in the temp folder.

C:/Document1/KEN/LOCALS~1/TEMP/WER3576.DIR001MINI010305.OIDMP

The ~ generally is a indication of a automatic backup;
 possible due to the hardware problems.

Here is an article on power supplies;

     Power Supply Reference Sheet posted by Thor

     Here are the ATX allowances for power supply voltage spec
     deviation:

     +12V DC output +/- 5% (11.4V to 12.6V)

     +5V DC output +/- 5% (4.75V to 5.25V)

     If measurements show that the voltage deviations are outside the
     ranges specified above, then it's time to get a new power supply.

     *** A digital portable voltmeter is about $20 which you can find
     in almost any hardware store. You want the one with the pointed
     contacts not the clips to test the 4 pin connectors. OK the point
     of all this is that lets say that you had a hard drive gone bad
     or are called to fix somebodies else's pc where their hard drive
     has gone bad and in both examples the drives were relatively new
     or even just a year old.

     Reminder. Be sure to get a DIGITAL meter. ie not the kind with
     the needle display.

     Before I risk putting in a new $100 drive I ALWAYS test at least
     the +5 volt line that would plug into the hard drive. Yes, I'll
     often find that in systems where the hard drive seemed to fail
     prematurely within a year that the +5 volt line is reading 5.35
     or 5.4 and in that case I'm NOT going take the chance and toast
     the new hardware. In this instance/example a new PS is a must in
     my opinion. Note that as power supplies fail the voltage on the
     five volt line goes up and that's one of the killers of HDDs.

     Many bios's also have a voltage reporting section but it's still
     nice to have the meter as your FIRST opinion. Popular places to
     find it in the bios is either on the chipset or power page. Use
     the BIOS as your SECOND data point, if at all.

     Let's go through an example on how to do this. Your meter should
     have a red and a black probe so you can stick them in the 4 pin
     power connector. The wires are colored as follows:

     Red | Black | Black | Yellow

     The Red wire is +5 volts. The Yellow wire is +12 volts. Both
     black wires are ground. With the pc on, put the red probe in the
     red hole and the black probe in the black hole and read the
     voltage. Healthy pcs will generally show perhaps 5.05 or 5.11
     volts which is fine and well within the tolerance. If you test
     the 12 volt line you will generally find it OK even if the 5 volt
     is outside the tolerance. Which is why I said the five volt seems
     to be the one that really matters when dealing with failed
     drives.

From; The BootLIST?
http://www.bootdisk.com/ 204 January 2005

Mike ~ one of the Moderators
It is a good day if I learned something new.
Editor MikesWhatsNews http://www.mwn.ca/
******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********

On 1/6/2005 at 8:16 PM Chris Paterson wrote:

Hi,

My brother, who lives in a little country town, is having some
computer problems, and I was  wondering if anyone has any ideas
for him. He has a P4, 512mb RAM, using XP.

His comp keeps re-booting. He gets a message about recovering
from a serious error.

His local comp guru has so far changed his motherboard, RAM,
CPU, video card and he got a new tower not including power supply.

Each time something is replaced, it works fine for a day or two,
and then it starts again.

This latest time the error message was -

BC Code: 10000050
BCP1: FFFFFFFF
BCP2: 00000000
BCP3: FFFFFFFF
BCP4: 00000000

OSVER 5-_1_2600SP:2_p Product 256-1

C:/Document1/KEN/LOCALS~1/TEMP/WER3576.DIR001MINI010305.OIDMP

C:/DOCUME~1/KEN/LOCALS~1/TEMP/WER357.DIR00/SYSDATA_XML.

The other thing is his screen goes discoloured around the edges
of the monitor when these problems happen.

Any ideas?

thanks
chrisP