[24hoursupport] Re: ERD and Recovery Console as a boot option

  • From: Barry Aronson <baronson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 09:46:30 -0500

At 08:58 8/12/2002 -0400, you wrote:

> >Hello Group!  I have tried in vain to figure out how to be able to create a
> >new ERD or even an update to the old one for the last 2 months.  For
>

>I wouldn't worry about it too much. Either the Repair function works or it
>doesn't and the ERD never really seemed to matter the few times I had to
>try it. WinXP just gives up and does away with it entirely.
>

> >Pro setup disks, but the situation stays the same.  My CD is unfortunately
> >a composite one from a corporate friend who burned 3 different OSs  on one
> >CD.  Pro, Server and Advanced Server.  He did not make any of it bootable,
>

>At the risk of jumping to conclusions here, MS has been known to disable
>updates for pirate copies. At least with WinXP SP1 they're going to. Still,
>nothing stopping you from burning your version to a bootable cdrom. Or him
>if his corporate license really allows him to burn and distribute his copies.
>

> >but I have the 4 boot disks and they work just fine to get me back to the
> >desktop. In the past I have relied on tape backups to restore whatever went
> >wrong but lately this method or my media is not working correctly.  I
> >cannot afford to get any new equipment, hence no CD-RW and the tapes are
> >quite expensive especially if they have a heavy failure rate.
>

>Using tapes to avoid buying a $35 USD cdrw makes no sense. Even cheap ($50)
>USB cdrws are available which wouldn't even require opening the case
>(though I don't think you could boot from one).
>
>Regardless, you may want to invest in 3rd party software that also backs up
>parts of the registry. ERUNT is free at
>http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt . WinRescue also includes
>backing up your data ($25 USD) at http://regvac.com/frescue2.htm .
>
>Of course if you really prefer an imaging solution then still no cdrw is
>necessary - just a free partition (preferably on a different physical disk)
>and a copy of Drive Image ( http://www.powerquest.com/driveimage/ ) or
>similar (freeware available).
>

>- Users can unsubscribe from this list by sending email to
>24hoursupport-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the
>Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at
>http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1/24hrsupport.htm.

Joe!  thank you for your response.  My Windows 2000 CD is NOT a pirate
copy, it is a licensed composite copies by a highly placed individual of an
IT company.  Because of time constraints his generosity to me was curtailed
and he ONLY burned the OSs on 1 CD, which was a new one on me too.

He is trying to get me a copy of ERD Commander 2002 so I do not have to
worry about sloppy recoveries and the like.  If I could afford it I would
have a CD-RW and then problem solved.

So in summation, it appears that You do not hold much store in the ERD and
have alternative methods to recover from a crash or gross corruption.

But I DO appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Barry ~ baronson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at