[24hoursupport] Re: ERD and Recovery Console as a boot option

  • From: Joe Parker <joe.parker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 08:58:57 -0400

>Hello Group!  I have tried in vain to figure out how to be able to create a
>new ERD or even an update to the old one for the last 2 months.  For

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Either the Repair function works or it
doesn't and the ERD never really seemed to matter the few times I had to
try it. WinXP just gives up and does away with it entirely.

>Pro setup disks, but the situation stays the same.  My CD is unfortunately
>a composite one from a corporate friend who burned 3 different OSs  on one
>CD.  Pro, Server and Advanced Server.  He did not make any of it bootable,

At the risk of jumping to conclusions here, MS has been known to disable
updates for pirate copies. At least with WinXP SP1 they're going to. Still,
nothing stopping you from burning your version to a bootable cdrom. Or him
if his corporate license really allows him to burn and distribute his copies.

>but I have the 4 boot disks and they work just fine to get me back to the
>desktop. In the past I have relied on tape backups to restore whatever went
>wrong but lately this method or my media is not working correctly.  I
>cannot afford to get any new equipment, hence no CD-RW and the tapes are
>quite expensive especially if they have a heavy failure rate.

Using tapes to avoid buying a $35 USD cdrw makes no sense. Even cheap ($50)
USB cdrws are available which wouldn't even require opening the case
(though I don't think you could boot from one).

Regardless, you may want to invest in 3rd party software that also backs up
parts of the registry. ERUNT is free at
http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt . WinRescue also includes
backing up your data ($25 USD) at http://regvac.com/frescue2.htm .

Of course if you really prefer an imaging solution then still no cdrw is
necessary - just a free partition (preferably on a different physical disk)
and a copy of Drive Image ( http://www.powerquest.com/driveimage/ ) or
similar (freeware available).

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at