[24hoursupport] Diabetic records

  • From: "Paul M. King" <peking7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:40:23 -0800

Ron:

My wife and I were diagnosed late onset, type II diabetics some 10 years
ago. We have been using One Touch Ultra sugar testers for the past few
years. They require a needle prick and have an internal chip which keeps
the record for a month and gives average blood sugar readings over a 30-day
period maximum.

If this is repetitive, please excuse me. There is new model of the One
Touch that requires no pin prick and does pretty much the same thing. Of
course, there is no print out and we keep longhand notes for other data.
Our physician is a bit leery of the accuracy of the needleless model, however.

My wife checks and records readings daily while I check blood sugar only a
couple times weekly as I am less severely affected. We both see our doctor
quarterly. Neither of us injects insulin, but we must watch our food intake
and exercise daily.

I just want to say that sugar testing meters are getting more and more
sophisticated and that many of the manufacturers sell software to meet the
needs of Type I patients who inject and must keep detailed records.

I am, however, pretty much clueless about the relative capability and
durability of hand held computers and how they can be applied to diabetic
record keeping. I'm sure they can do a great job in the hands of one who
programs.

PK