[24hoursupport] Re: Dead computer and monitor

  • From: "Hugh Vandervoort" <hughv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 05:47:56 -0500

It's possible there is no operating system, but there still should be a BIOS
screen.
Put a boot floppy in the A drive and see what happens. (Make one that has CD
ROM drivers).
If it boots, proceed to format and partition the disk, install the Operating
system.
If not, you have larger problems, such as a bad or missing HD, bad
motherboard or some other component failure that will require further
investigation.
I noticed that new Dell Dimension 2300 P4s are only $729.00.

I started to help a friend to start up a used computer the other day and ran
into a dead monitor and CPU. The pilot light came on for the monitor, but no
images. The computer pilot lights for the CD ROM drive and the floppy lights
lit up. There was no clicking of the kind one hears when Windows 98 loads.

My experience with dead computers extends only to crashes which corrupt
files and require reformatting and reinstallation of Win98SE and to
replacing
faulty components when I can pinpoint the cause of failure.

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at