[24hoursupport] Re: Dead computer and monitor

  • From: Joe Parker <joe.parker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:38:00 -0500

You didn't mention if you hear the BIOS beep. Even with no ram, drives,
video card, or monitor installed you should hear that first beep. Maybe a
bad 5V line on the power supply or a bad mobo. Really, too many
possibilities to start speculating. But I agree it's best to steer people
away from this glut of junk used computers floating around these days. Way
more trouble than they're worth.

>I started to help a friend to start up a used computer the other day and ran
>into a dead monitor and CPU. The pilot light came on for the monitor, but no
>images. The computer pilot lights for the CD ROM drive and the floppy lights
>lit up. There was no clicking of the kind one hears when Windows 98 loads.

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at