[24hoursupport] Dead computer and monitor

  • From: "Paul M. King" <peking7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 23:58:18 -0800

I started to help a friend to start up a used computer the other day and ran
into a dead monitor and CPU. The pilot light came on for the monitor, but no
images. The computer pilot lights for the CD ROM drive and the floppy lights
lit up. There was no clicking of the kind one hears when Windows 98 loads.

My experience with dead computers extends only to crashes which corrupt
files and require reformatting and reinstallation of Win98SE and to replacing
faulty components when I can pinpoint the cause of failure.

My conclusions about my friend's computer, acquired from a corporation shop
for disposing of outdated office equipment, are these:

        1. The monitor may need to go to the shop.
        2. There is no operating system in the computer.
        3. Both of the above.

The equipment was tested and said to be in operating condition when sold.
I assume that the company removed Windows 98 before putting the units up
for sale.

Since the cost was minimal and my friend is a beginner, I have advised him to
buy a brand new plug and play unit from a reputable manufacturer. It should
come
with Windows XP and a warranty, thereby assuaging his anxiety and minimizing
equipment trouble while he is learning. He can easily do this for $600 or less.

I would welcome comments and advice.

Paul King

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at