[24hoursupport] Re: DVD use

  • From: "Paul M. King" <peking7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 14:40:03 -0700

Thanks, Ron. This is exactly the kind of stuff I am looking for. Right now,
my inclination is to skip DVD for PC use. Meanwhile, I'll learn what I can
about the new DVD technology with a view to trying it in some practical
way when the time is right.

But I'm still open to suggestions from those who have had positive DVD
experience.

Paul King

At 10:18 PM 10/11/02 -0500, you wrote:
>It's an unusual situation for me to be suggesting that any computer=
>  technology may not be at least somewhat useful, but that's where I'm at=
>  tonight with your question.
>
>I went out of my way to get a DVD player when I built my latest PC about a=
>  year ago. I played a movie for about 10 minutes once, marveled at the=
>  sharpness and clarity of the picture and the crispness of the sound=
>  through the digital sound card and speaker system I have... and have since=
>  used it entirely as a normal CD-ROM drive. I also find that it is much=
>  more appropriate and comfortable to watch DVD movies on a more traditional=
>  DVD player connected to my TV set.
>
>When I bought the DVD-ROM drive, it was with the expectation that many new=
>  software titles would be coming out on DVD media. This was the talk at the=
>  time I bought my DVD drive, and I fell for it. Although there are a few=
>  software titles you can buy on DVD, the format has simply not taken off as=
>  expected. At least, not yet. If and when that ever does happen, look for=
>  DVD drives to essentially replace CD-ROM. But for now, unless there is a=
>  specific need or desire to watch DVD movies on the computer, I'd save the=
>  extra few bucks and just get a CD-ROM drive.
>
>The 48X you referred to in your previous message is the speed of the drive.=
>  For movie playback, this is essentially meaningless because all movie DVDs=
>  are played at the same speed, which is, I believe, 1X or the base speed.=
>  Anything faster is wasted on DVD movies. With DVD software, the speed=
>  becomes a critical factor as the drive must be fast enough to load data=
>  into the computer without causing annoying pauses or taking too long to=
>  load large data files. The same is true of CD-ROM drives, at least up to=
>  the point where the drive is faster than the bus it is connected to, but=
>  with CD-ROM drives there is more justification for getting a faster drive=
>  because it makes software loading smoother.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Ron

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at