[24hoursupport] Connecting computers to printer

  • From: "Paul M. King" <peking7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 23:13:51 -0700

One of my computers is loaded with WIN XP home and the other with WIN98SE. I
want to connect them to a a single printer which has a parallel cable port, but
no USB port. I know there are several ways to do this, but I am looking for the
simplest and least expensive.

I have on hand serial, parallel and USB cables. I do not own any switch boxes,
except a  KVM, nor routers, hubs or any other device which would connect a USB
port with a parallel port. The XP computer is equipped with six USB 2.0 ports
and the WIN98SE with two USB 1.1 ports.

I have considered making the XP computer a server, connecting it to the printer
and then giving the WIN98SE computer access to the printer via the server. All
suggestions are welcome, especially regarding systems already in place and
working well.

PK