[24hoursupport] Re: Confidentiality in messages.

  • From: "Ron Allen" <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 19:07:59 -0500

>Confidentiality in messages.
>
>I wonder is there any way that contributions made to various web sites can
>be excluded from being found by such search engines as
>groups.google.com/googlegroups.  I had something of an embarrassing
>experience recently as a colleague doing a surge found a message that
would
>appear to have been written by myself.

Hello Arthur,

The short answer is, no not really.

The more helpful answer is that you can sign up for one of the free email
services and use that email for your contact information on any site you
need to log into as well as anywhere else you want more confidentiality. If
you sign up for access to web-based forums etc., use a username other than
your own name and different from your "main" or "public" email address.
Don't sign your full name to messages, even when using an alias identity.
Finally, if you are saying things or in places you'd rather not have people
know about, be cautious about what you say to avoid anything that could be
used to identify you.

This still would not keep a knowledgeable and determined person from
tracking you, but it would at least mostly protect you from casual
discovery.

There is virtually no such thing as confidentiality on the Internet. Credit
card numbers and whatever other information you may send to and from an
encrypted server is safe during transit, but realistically that's about it.
Messages posted to a public forum of any kind is wide-open fair game. Even
message boards that require a sign-in to post are considered to be public,
usually, and if you read the user agreement it will say in it somewhere
that privacy is not to be expected.

Perhaps someone else here can offer better suggestions.

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at