[24hoursupport] Cannot Access Secure Sites

  • From: "Trish Doran" <kcdiva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 06:54:59 -0500

I am at my wits' end and hope someone can help. Ever since I reformatted my
hard drive and reinstalled Internet Explorer 5.5, I cannot access secure sites
(any that begin with https) at all. I previously had IE 6 and that was a
disaster; many links wouldn't work, even after using some of the fixes that
have been mentioned here so I'm not that anxious to upgrade again.

When checking my cipher strength (clicking help, about internet explorer) it is
set to 0. I click the link to update information, but that link takes me to a
page that says I do not need to do anything because the strong encryption or
whatever is already included with IE 5.5. I have checked my security settings
and all those little boxes under advanced (USE PCT, USE SSL, USE TLS, etc) are
checked. I tried downloading and running the program microsoft had on their
site anyway, but it didn't work.

Netscape works great, and I would just switch to that, but many of the games I
like to play are IE only and the webpages snicker at me when I attempt to log
on using Netscape. Plus Netscape is so bloated and slow.

What's a girl to do?
Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at