[24hoursupport] Re: Cable generated interference

  • From: yyixi001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 10:04:23 -0500

Ok, those should be new enough, you can't improve too much on the
shielding incorporated into them much if at all since they are already
so new. Surprising there should be any interferance that way. I don't
think there's any need to get newer ones.

I had an older monitor that interfered with a cassette recorder, but I'm
surprised a newer one should have such problems.

Come to think of it, since the monitors are grounded through a three
prong plug, should be okay, although that's really to protect from
shorts. Concerning my original suggestion to try putting wire mesh or
sheetmetal 'shielding' over and around the sides and back of the
monitors, I'm going to 'change my tune', and give different advice.
Contact an Amateur Radio, also known as a HAM radio, store. Explain the
problem to them, and ask what they suggest. They know a lot more about
it. Hope this helps.

FYI, never ground to a gas line, and not to pvc water, or sewer line.
Steel water pipe is okay. Our power box has a ground rod, which is a 8
to 10 foot steel rod about one inch diameter, plated with copper,
pounded straight into the ground, with a special clamp attached to the
top end, where you can screw down the end of a copper wire, and it has
such a wire coming down from the power box. A HAM radio is grounded to
such a rod. But please talk to the HAM radio store guys. They're very
knowledgeable.