[24hoursupport] Re: Browser hijacker

  • From: "Stephen Rogers" <stephen.rogers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:10:29 +0000

Hmm.

I had this browser Hijack.

Could not get rid of it with MS Anti-Spyware, Spybot or Ad-Aware...

Thought I had fixed it but still kept coming back.

It was a friends laptop initially with no Firewall / AV so wiped it and
installed all apporpriate security products and tried to explain to my
friend the dangers of the internet and also the importance of staying
protected.

>>> peking7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 27/01/05 02:02:50 >>>

Right. I always set my home page to www.google.com. Whatever has
invaded my
computer has changed this setting to about:blank. I have three Spyware

programs on my computer and none restore my google setting or allow me
restore it. HiJack This, a small free utility usually kicks out the
invader
in a hurry. Not this time.

I downloaded the new freebie MS AntiSpyware tool now in beta some time
ago,
but tried it for the first time today. It also revealed a browser
hijacker
in my system (about:blank), but failed to remove it. New malware is
getting
smarter about foiling removal tools.

Unless I can find aid on the web, I'm going to try reinstalling MS
Internet
Explorer. I haven't been into the MS Knowledge Base yet and that's my
next
step.

PK

At 04:35 PM 1/26/2005, you wrote:

>Sorry Paul but I'm a little confused by this.  Are you saying that
when you
>reset your home page it is not holding to what you set it at?  If so,
then
>you do have spyware on your system.  HijackThis is a good utility but
it
>does not scan for and remove spyware.  It is only a supplement to use
along
>with a good spyware removal program.  Go to http://www.lavasoftusa.com
and
>download Ad-aware.  Be sure to update the pattern file before running
a scan
>with it.
>
>Spider
>
>http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1