[24hoursupport] Big Problem, ANY Ideas Appreciated

  • From: "Ron Allen" <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 09:25:01 -0500

Both of my computers are now unable to boot.

Last week, the machine that is more or less my mother's
computer began stopping during/right after the POST and
would not respond.

Friday night, my computer had a black screen, the power
and HDD activity lights were on solid, and nothing could
bring it back up. I did a hard restart by powering down,
and it went back to the same state. I opened the box and
removed everything except the RAM and the video card,
still nothing. I jiggled wires and re-seated connectors,
and finally the machine booted. I started adding
components back one at a time until the box was again
loaded, and all seemed well. I figured I had a loose
connection, even though I never noticed anything during my
probing, that I fixed without realizing it.

Saturday morning, the black screen was back and now
nothing I do, including the complete strip and check,
brings it back.

It seems awfully coincidental to me that this sort of
thing should happen to both of my machines at the same
time. But I am behind a hardware firewall in the form of a
NetGear router, and both machines had ZoneAlarm,PC-Cillin
anti-virus, and Pest Patrol anti-trojan sofwtare installed
and operating.

I am totally dead in the water, and have no clue what
could have caused these problems or how to correct them.
If the machine will boot, I can usually figure out a fix
to whatever the problem is. If I can't even boot to DOS
using a floppy, I'm out of my depth.

Please, any and all suggestions appreciated. I can pick up
mail from work for awhile, but I can't spend a lot of time
responding.

Thanks,