[24hoursupport] Re: Backing Up Files onto Cd

  • From: Ron Allen <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: George Cham <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 21:43:29 -0600

GC> It's been a while since I last posted a message, But I've been playing with
GC> my new PC.
GC> That Wright, I bought a new pc with a cd burner.

GC> I am in the process of backing up my files.

GC> Should I compress them first using MS backup before transferring to cd ?

Hello George,

The list has been pretty dead for a week or so. Your messages are
always welcome, but tonight even more so :)

Congratulations on your new PC, and the CD burner too.

CD-R disks are cheap enough that it may not be worth your time to
compress the files before burning them. It adds an additional step
now, plus the decompression step if/when you need to restore. I like
being able to just put a CD in and copy the files back as needed. On
the other hand, if CD disks went up in price, or if I couldn't get
them cheaply, or if my employment situation changed, then I would
begin considering being more thrifty about my CD-R usage.

I wouldn't suggest using MS Backup in any event. If you decide to
compress, I'd suggest using your .zip utility of choice instead.
Microsoft changes its file formats too often, I'd be uncomfortable
that I might not be able to access the files after an upgrade or even
a hot fix if I had to depend on MS.

HTH,