[24hoursupport] Re: Another Networking Question

  • From: "Spider" <spider1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 14:03:22 -0500

Ron,
I'm going to assume (you substitute the actual names) the computer
containing the information to share has a computer name of Computer1 and the
folder you want to share is D:\My Documents.  You should also have a user
account for rallen that is a member of the administrative group.  (you said
below you do anyway).  Go to that computer and access the properties of the
My Documents folder.  On the share tab, create a new share called mydocs$.
That will make it a hidden share.  Go to the permissions section while
setting up the share and just have the administrative group and the single
rallen account listed for permission.  Now go to computer2 (the one you want
to access this folder from) and map a drive to \\computer1\mydocs$ and when
you get prompted for a user name and password, type for the username,
computer1\rallen, and the password you have set for that account on
computer1. (there MUST be a password set on that account).  If your pc's are
seeing each other on the network, that should allow you to access that
folder.  Let us know how it works out.

Spider
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1/spiderweb1.htm