[24hoursupport] Another Networking Question

  • From: Ron Allen <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, 24hrsupporthelpdesk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 15:17:21 -0600

Spider recently helped me resolve an issue with networking that had
been preventing me from sharing my printer on my home LAN.

Now I have another issue. The situation is this: I have one computer,
my main machine, that is connected to a NetGear router. I also have
another computer, my second machine, connected to the router. My cable
modem is also connected to the router, and both machines share the
Internet access. Now that my printing from the second machine problem
is fixed, I want to share some folders on the second machine that only
I have access to. I have the folders set up as mounted volumes in
MyDocuments folder on the second machine, which prevents anyone (say,
like my 7 year old nephew) from messing with my files when he logs in
under his own username to play a game. I am the only Administrator on
either machine, the other accounts are restricted. Unfortunately, it also
apparently prevents me from sharing the folders on the network so that
I can access them from my main machine.

Both computers are running Windows XP Pro, all latest updates, and
both have all drives formatted NTFS.

Any guidance on how to achieve what I'm trying to do is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron