[24hoursupport] Re: Admin Password

  • From: Barry Aronson <baronson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 10:47:28 -0500

At 17:46 8/17/2002 +1000, you wrote:
>Does anyone know of a way to recover the Administrators Password in
>Windows XP Pro running Fat32
>
>Because some fool not mentions any names has forgotten it.
>
>I have searched the Net and the only program I can find that will do is
>"NTAccess"
>But at $70.00us it's a bit pricey.
>

>- Users can unsubscribe from this list by sending email to
>24hoursupport-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the
>Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at
>http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1/24hrsupport.htm.

Hello Barry!  There are many things you can do to recover the
password.  Firstly you could download an evaluation copy of O&O Decon v. 4
at:  http://www.oosoft.de/cgi-bin/download2/download-e.pl  You could also
re-install the OS over the one you have now and choose new password.  If
you could obtain, create or otherwise use a DOS or EVEN a Windows 9X boot
disk you could boot the system with it and delete your SAM files.  cd\
x:\winntsystem32\config

and press Enter to change to the folder where your passwords are stored.
(Of course, if you've installed Windows to a folder other than C:\winnt,
you should substitute the correct folder name in the command above.)

Delete the SAM file by typing:
DEL sam.*

and pressing Enter.

Remove the boot floppy and restart your machine.
When prompted for a logon name, use Administrator with a blank password.

Be aware that:  The SAM file defines all the user accounts on the computer.
When you delete it, you'll lose all user accounts.

HTH,

Barry ~ baronson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at