[24hoursupport] Re: Adding programs/utilities to Win XP home partition

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 19:50:51 -0700

Hi Paul,
I try to keep just the OS on my C drive.
I stared with a 3Gig drive when XP first came out and have made it larger 4
times now.
It is now 8Gig.

I use D  10Gig for my programs and documents.

E 10Gig for all the down loaded installation files in their compressed form.
That way I can burn the down loads directly to CD's and then delete them to
make more room.

F drive the remainder is my backup drive it contains an images of C and D
drives and other odd files.

See my Anti-Virus pages
<http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/mikes_virus_page.htm>
A Technical Support Alliance & OWTA Charter Member

******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********

On 10/25/2004 at 5:10 PM Paul M. King wrote:

I have created four partitions on an 80gig HD and am considering what kind
of utilities to include in the same partition. I have installed WinXP home
in the C: partition and have created other partitions for XP files and
settings; software; and miscellaneous storage.

Partitioning is a new experience for me. I will be using an 80 gig external
USB hard drive and Drive Image 7.0 to back up my internal hard drive when I
have finished.

I'm seeking suggestions on what kind of utilities/programs should share the
OS partition and which are best placed in the software partition. For
example, should Zone Alarm, NOD 32, Spysweeper, or Eudora share space with
the OS? Recovery/tweaking utilities only? Both? None of these? Whatever?

I have failed to find a good web site for advice. If anyone has a useful
link to this info, I would appreciate your sharing it with me.

Paul King