[24hoursupport] Re: Adding a secondry HHD

  • From: "William B. Lurie" <billurie@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 07:59:14 -0400

Paul Birch wrote:

>Can anyone explain how to set-up a secondry Hard Drive on win xp home?  Do
>you still use fdisk? If so explain what I have to do in fdisk.
>
>Paul
>
>---

I bought eMachines with XPHOME. There is a place where it is ridiculously
easy, inside, to plug in a second hard drive, which becomes
the "slave". You must make certain that the jumpers on BOTH drives
are set properly. Instructions are on the drives and come with a new drive.

I don't think there is anything additional you have to do. Then run
Windows Explorer
to access the Slave drive. I am assumin that the Slave Drive is ready to go.
As for formatting it, it is easy to set up and format once you have it
connected and are running your Master drive XP.

As an alternative, you can follow the instructions that come with a
new drive, put it in Master position (all by itself) and format it. Again,
it has to be correctly jumpered. After it's formatted,
put it in Slave position and proceed.

You didn't say whose machine it is....but you can get reasonably
quick and accurate advice by email from  www.emachinesinc.com  .....

I've done the above many times....good luck.

--
                   William B. Lurie