[24hoursupport] Re: AMD/Intel questions

  • From: "Ron Allen" <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 21:46:42 -0600

Hello Douglas,

Your system sounds pretty nice :)

>In the end it all comes down to what you want to do with the computer.

Heh. I've said that to people myself <g>.

My situation is a bit unusual, compared to probably the majority of=
 computer users. My honest answer to your question is: Everything.

I am a software developer by profession. I need a powerful machine for=
 development work. But my actual professional computer horsepower needs are=
 trivial compared to the rest of what I use my system for.

I play some of the high-end,  bleeding edge 3-D computer games and=
 need/want the best graphics powerhouse available. Ditto for sound quality=
 and for the same reason, plus I dabble in digital music authoring. I=
 need/want top-notch sound. I mess around with digital art, scanning,=
 digital photography, 3-D rendering, and a bunch of other things too.

In short, if a computer can do it, I want mine to be capable of it, if and=
 when the fancy strikes me. I want to be able to buy any software in the=
 world and not really even need to look at the system requirements because=
 I know my machine can handle it. I want to be able to drop in any new=
 hardware at all that I might suddenly decide I need or want and have my=
 machine be able to accept and use it.

I'm also just a plain old computer enthusiast who wants to have the most=
 powerful computer on the block just for the sake of having the most=
 powerful computer on the block.

Also, my philosophy is to never be penny wise and pound foolish. I consider=
 my computers to be investments, and easily justify the expense by the=
 amount of use my machines get and the amount of time I spend on them. I=
 always buy top-of-the-line components and have built my last three systems=
 from the ground up myself. If money were truly no object, I'd have a Cray=
 or something <g>. Money is a concern, just not a primary concern, and is=
 generally not the deciding factor. I never turn down an opportunity to=
 save some cash, all things being equal. I'm not looking at AMD=
 specifically to save money, and certainly not to save money at the cost of=
 performance or loss of flexibility. I just keep hearing all these=
 wonderful things about AMD systems, and thought if everything checked out=
 maybe I would give Intel a rest this time. But so far I'm not so sure that=
 AMD is really right for me.

Thanks,

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at