[24hoursupport] Re: AMD/Intel questions

  • From: "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 04 Feb 2003 18:16:24 -0800

On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 23:25, Ron Allen wrote:

> I'm looking at possibly building a new system soon, and am, for the first=
>  time, seriously considering an AMD processor.

Dear, Ron, what exactly are you looking for in a system? I, like you,
wanted to make a change so went with an Athlon 2000+. I could have
afforded going with a P4 but wanted something new to play with. I didn't
make my new system as you're going to do, but wanted to try a system
that was tuned to running Linux. I bought it from Penguin Computing,
pricey, but I knew I wouldn't have compatibility issues. The whole
system looks like this:

Athlon XP 2000+
512 Mb Corsair PC2100 (2x256) ram
40 Gb , EIDE, 7200 RPM drive (I already had a 40 Gb drive)
40/12/40 IDE CD-RW
16X TDR DVD-ROM
Intel Single port 10/100 Ethernet Card
Zoom FaxModem 56kbps V.90 PCI
Gigabyte ATI Rage 128 Pro 16Mb sdram
VIA-KT266 chipset
ATI, Rage 128 Pro, AGP video
Lots of fans

So far the system works fine. At some point I might want to upgrade the
video card.

In the end it all comes down to what you want to do with the computer.
-- d

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at