[24hoursupport] Re: A Proprietary system question

  • From: "Beaney, Derek" <Derek.Beaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 15:32:21 -0400

normally the restore disks format the system and bring it back to the state
that the laptop left the factory

it sounds like u have the wrong restore disk.

laptop manufactures (gateway,compaq,hp) used to make the laptops so they
could only run on the os that came with the laptop. your only options were
using the restore disk to format the drive or upgrade the preexisting os.
the only way people could put a new operating system on was to call tech
support and have them send them a new bios (unlocking the os limitation) or
searching the net for ways to "hack" the system.

thank god this practice has stopped ... most newer laptops now don't have
this.