[24hoursupport] Re: A Proprietary system question

  • From: "Barry Cornford" <cornyb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 15:35:08 +1000

As you don't know what has happened before you.
I would suggest You format the drive yourself a re-install Windows from scratch.

A format will test the status of the drive.
A clean install of Windows gives the Ram a good workout as it is installing and
tests your Plug &
play sound, video etc.

And if you get any errors on the install the first place I would look would be
the Ram

I had someone bring me a dead Gateway Astro. The place they
had previously taken it had had it apart, lost about half of
the screws, then told them it had to be sent back to Gateway.
I took it apart and the battery was dead. Put a new one in and
it came up with a bunch of missing .dll's, etc. There was a
screw missing from the HD and at a closer look, it appeared
that it had been removed for some reason. I surmise that
someone had reformatted the HD. I managed to get windows 98
back on it, and got it to come up with the "restore" disk, but
now it says: