[24hoursupport] A Proprietary system question

  • From: Doug Keller <dek@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 21:42:44 -0400

I had someone bring me a dead Gateway Astro. The place they
had previously taken it had had it apart, lost about half of
the screws, then told them it had to be sent back to Gateway.
I took it apart and the battery was dead. Put a new one in and
it came up with a bunch of missing .dll's, etc. There was a
screw missing from the HD and at a closer look, it appeared
that it had been removed for some reason. I surmise that
someone had reformatted the HD. I managed to get windows 98
back on it, and got it to come up with the "restore" disk, but
now it says:
"While initializing device CONFIGMG:
Windows Protection Error. You need to restart your computer."
Well, when you restart, it will go to safe mode, but if you
try to reboot back into normal, it will say it has repaired a
registry error and then lockup. Any ideas or suggestions will
be GREATLY appreciated, as I'm getting sick of messing with
it.
Doug
--
Doug Keller          "Learn from the mistakes of others,
Wis-Kel Electronics   because you won't live long enough