[24hoursupport] Re: 24hoursupport Digest V3 #74

  • From: "mep" <biff15923@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:16:23 -0400

Did you report it ?   What did the company say about it ?  Is it a reg bug
for them or what ?   mep

Date: 27 Jul 2004 19:01:10 -0000
Subject: ZoneAlarm blues
From: 0e60wq102@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The reason I was locked off the internet for one or two weeks was not a worm
or trojan. ZoneAlarm tripped a lock-out somehow, but did not give any
indication. Setting ZA not to start anymore did not solve the problem, it
only made me think ZA was not the problem.

Plus, an abortive attempt to install a tekram SCSI controller card, resulted
in an unintended and nonreversible DOS install of something called
'dual-fifo' (more like 'dual fido'), seriously compromising cpu resources
and resulting in perpetual pc lock-ups. That has been fixed.

Once ZA was restarted and its slider settings dropped to zero, like, totally
off, access to the internet magically reappeared for all relevant programs.

Again, as once before, I'm compelled to relabel ZA as 'Twilight Zone Alarm'.

Great program, but I think it needs something like a Desktop warning
feature, telling when it puts the entire pc into total internet lock-down,
instead of hiding in its folder and pretending to be a worm.