[24hoursupport] Re: 160gb disk drive

  • From: David Wood <dmwood78@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 05:01:59 -0400

> I realized I had some errors in my post after I had sent it.
>
> The theoretical limit for an NTFS partition is 16 exabytes or about 18
> billion GB. The limit for FAT32 (though it comes at a loss of a LOT of
> wasted space) is 2 GB.

Just a little nitpick here.  I think you're thinking of FAT16.  FAT32
is supports up to 2TB partition sizes - of course it is very
inefficient and unstable when you compare it to NTFS.  And of course
since FAT32 has a 4gig file size limit, it is a bad choice if you're
into nonlinear video editing.

Not to mention that it offers none of the security features that NTFS
does.  In my opinion, there is no reason to not use NTFS, unless of
course you want compatibility with other operating systems such as
Win9x and ME.