[1stPickSites] (10/15/04) Intro to Quantum Mechanics

  • From: "Christy" <snowy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1stpickSites@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:04:35 -0400

Intro to Quantum Mechanics

http://www-theory.chem.washington.edu/~trstedl/quantum/quantum.htm

Today's single web page from physical chemist Todd Stedl provides
a summary of the mysterious realm of quantum mechanics for the
lay person. Having heard such terms as the "uncertainty
principle", bandied about on popular television programs, but who
are still in the dark about their meaning, will discover
illuminating material on this branch of science.

"This page is intended to give an ordinary person a brief
overview of the importance and wonder of quantum mechanics.
Unfortunately, most people believe you need the mind of Einstein
in order to understand QM so they give up on it entirely.
(Interesting side note: Einstein didn't believe QM was a correct
theory!) Even some chemists fall into that category -- to
represent physical chemistry our departmental [University of
Washington, Seattle .ed] T-shirts have a picture of the ... atom,
which is almost a century out of date.   ...[T]ake a dip in an
ocean of information that I find completely invigorating!" - from
the website

The page, using plain language, covers the basic topic of what is
quantum mechanics, why it was developed, its importance and the
problems with classical physics. Additional material is provided
on its fundamental concepts -- discreteness of energy, the
wave-particle duality of light and matter, quantum tunneling,
spin of a particle and the ever-popular Heisenberg uncertainty
principle. A selection of helpful graphics serve to clarify some
of the concepts.

~*~*~*~*~
to 1stpicksites-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info 1stpicksites" without the