[1stPickSites] (09/04/07) Facts About Fiberglass

  • From: "Christy" <snowy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1stpickSites@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 10:01:35 -0400

        Facts About Fiberglass

http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35439

Today's web page, from the American Lung Association, provides a
useful fact sheet about the safety of fiberglass. Readers
thinking of renovation projects which might involve exposing
already installed fiberglass or simply considering a bit of extra
installation to reduce heating and cooling costs, may find this
practical fact sheet useful.

"Fiberglass is a man-made product that is composed of natural
ingredients such as sand and recycled products such as window
glass and bottles. The ingredients are melted and spun to create
small strands of fiberglass that together form 'glass wool'." -
from the website

The web page explains the most common uses of fiberglass, a brief
history of its use and its current rating of not being considered
a human
carcinogen. The guide notes the reaction to contact with
fiberglass materials or breathing in fiberglass dust as an
irritant -- to skin, eyes,
nose and throat. Sensible advice is provided on the measures to
take to minimize direct exposure during installation as well as
procedures to
follow for cleaning up afterwards.

~*~*~*~*~
to 1stpicksites-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.