[1stPickSites] (05/30/03) NWS Wind Chill Temperature Index

  • From: "Christy" <snowy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1stpickSites@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 10:01:11 -0400

NWS Wind Chill Temperature Index

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/windchill/index.shtml

Cold enough for you? Ever wonder how meteorologists calculate the
wind chill factor?

A valuable site from the U.S. National Weather Service which has
implemented an improvement over the modified 1945 wind chill
temperature index .

" . . . NWS implemented a replacement Wind Chill Temperature
(WCT) index. .. The current formula uses advances in science,
technology, and computer modeling to provide a more accurate,
understandable, and useful formula for calculating the dangers
from winter winds and freezing temperatures. . . Standardization
of the WCT Index among the meteorological community provides an
accurate and consistent measure to ensure public safety. The new
wind chill formula is now being used in Canada and the United
States."
- from the website

This excellent site includes a downloadable (in PDF format) wind
chill chart, a nifty onsite calculator for determining the wind
chill factor in Fahrenheit and the most relevant data for the
recently developed wind chill index.

~*~*~*~*~
to 1stpicksites-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info 1stpicksites" without the