[18650] Re: BMS Controller

  • From: "Edward Ang" <EdAng@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <18650@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 23:16:55 -0700

I had some success controlling my PFC-30 with a PIC18F258 and a digipot.  I
am testing my circuit by paralleling the 10k digipot with the current POT in
the charger.  This allows me to control charging current both manually and
also using a RS-232 serial port.

I was having a lot of problem with electrical noise in the charger.  First,
I tested everything without any opto's for isolation since the digipot does
provide some type of isolation between the POT and the control circuit.  It
did not work out well despite a few days of testing.  The electrical noise
affected the charger's current control circuit.  The moment I set it to more
than 2A charging current, the control would blow up to full current mode.  I
had to isolate the digipot with opto's from the PIC and the MAX232 chip.
This helps to stabilize the charger's current control loop.

However, since I also had to relocate the digipot inside the charger with
close proximity with the existing POT, I am now having some intermittent
problem communicating with the digipot.  I sometimes have to send the SPI
commands 2 or 3 times for the digipot to change its value.  A quick look at
the scope shows a lot of noise on all SPI lines even though their are all
less about 2 cm long.  I have not had success filtering out the noise with
caps and resistors yet.

I have a new scope on order with 2 channels so that I could do a more
detailed investigation.  Any suggestions?  The current scopemeter I have is
really not adequate for the job.

I am off building more regulators for now.

Ed Ang
AIR Lab
(510)673-7602