[windows2000] Mount directory as drive

  • From: "Ray Costanzo" <ray@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 08:42:02 -0500

Hi list,

I'm getting a new computer at work and it will have just a C drive and
nothing else - no partitions.  Personally, I dislike keeping my files on the
OS drive for a number of reasons, but I will have no choice.  I'm just
starting a new job and don't want to risk installing partition magic to
partition the drive and reserve the contents or anything like that, and the
computer is a laptop, so I can't easily swap it into another computer to
image it or anything.  So, I will need to work off the C drive.  Is there a
way to map a path, C:\Ray to a drive letter, D:\ without going through the
loopback network adapter?  It's not a big deal if I have to wind up just
mapping a drive to a share, but if there's some different way that I haven't
heard about before, I'd like to try it.

This computer will be running Windows XP Pro SP2.  This is not a Windows
2000 computer, so perhaps y'all should tell me to go fly a kite and get off
the W2K list with this question!

Thanks