[nas-2000] RE : Re: RE : Re: Dual HDD NAS (SATA) Firmware

  • From: Samuel BURG <samuel_burg@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 19:42:21 +0100 (CET)

Hello George,

> Hello Samual,
>
> I can't thank you enough; just a few more questions,
> I hope you don't mind!
>
> > unsing [MRT kernel + any (ramdisk + boot +
> hddapp)] on> DUAL HDD NAS - Sata : for only the 2
> disk are detectedAt the moment I only have one hard
> disk drive, but I am planning on adding another in
> the near future; does this mean I should wait until
> I have added the second disk, as the new firmware
> may not detect one disk on its own?

the disk detection is made at each boot.
so it doesn't matter you add the second disk
before/after firmware update.

for me I would do :

1) flash back to 'old' MRT firmware (version 2.3.2a or
2.3.2b), so I can log via telnet

2) add the second disk in the nas
3) copy data from hdd 1 to hdd 2
4) remove hdd 2 (no more danger for my data)

5) have a lot of fun with a lot of flashing, testing,
crashing on hdd 1 until I have the 'perfect'
customized firmware

6) re-add hdd 2, log via telnet or ssh, copy back data
to hdd 1 (if I have lose something in step (5))
7) erase hdd 2 to have fresh space

> > > 2) Are you now able to install other ipkg
> packages> > on the SATA NAS, e.g. TwonkyMedia?> > I
> have not tested this. I _think_ it should work.I
> appreciate your honesty; if you don't mind I may
> start another thread on this subject specifically,
> please feel free to comment.
>
> Finally, would you repeat this process each time MRT
> or Tinky release an upgrade to their firmware?

when you will have flash your NAS using redboot you
will see that it is not so difficult, and you will be
able to test any new firmware (kernel, ramdisk,
hddapp) without losing your data.

well, maybe there is a step more for using a new
_hddapp_ version without formating all the disk :
manualy install the uncompress hddapp file on the
fisrt partition of the first disk.
In fact, when you initialize your hard disk the first
time with the nas software it create on disk 1 [
partition 1, 100Mo, hdd application; partition 2, most
of the size, data; partition 3, 512Mo, swap=virtual
memory] and on disk 2 [ partition 1, all size, data ].
So if you re-initilize the disk with the web/http
interface each time you upgrade the firmware you lose
your data, then it's realy better to log in the nas
and manualy install the hdd app on the first
partition, but this is an other story ... under
ARM-Linux.

Best regards,

Samuel Burg

http://www.searchgamesbox.com/celebrityseparation.shtml