[kismac] Re: A few obscure and simple questions

  • From: Robin L Darroch <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 01:06:10 +0800

In case anybody cares, my local Apple store sells a universal adapter (car/airport, etc) for the ridiculous price of $179.00 CDN, and the serial-to-USB adapter (for my GPS) for the equally dumb price of $80.00 CDN. Hello Ebay.ca.

If you're going to pay anything *like* that for a serial-to-USB adapter for your GPS, I highly recommend buying a GPS "mouse" just to use with your laptop - specifically the Holux GM-210. It runs off your USB port so doesn't need any batteries, has a nice long cable, magnetic base and suction cup to make it perfect to place either inside your windscreen or on top of your car, and I believe you can pick one up on eBay for about $60. Plus that means you can use your handheld GPS for other things at the same time.

Incidentally, the one caveat with the Holux is that when you get it, the first thing you should do is throw away the included CD and go straight to their web site for a functional driver. The one on the CD is rubbish.

Incidentally, if you have the developer tools installed on your Mac, *do* get version 0.2a of KisMAC - it's far superior to 0.12a in all respects. You'll need Subversion with SSL support to download the source code (Google should find you Subversion/SSL binaries for Mac OS X), then download the code with the command

svn co https://opensvn.csie.org/bi/KisMACng

(the directory "KisMACng" will be created in your current directory)

... and finally execute the "compile.command" script in the downloaded KisMACng directory to build it.

Of course, if you're not comfortable with building from source, then you'll have to wait for Mick to finish his exams. :)

Cheers,
Robin

 Robin L. Darroch - PO Box 2715, South Hedland WA 6722 - +61 421 503 966
      robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx