[Freelists News] Atlink DSL goes under, FreeLists goes with it

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelists-news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:22:53 -0500

===
- The FreeLists Newsletter -
 You're receiving this email because you are subscribed
 to the FreeLists Newsletter, a newsletter sent out to all
 FreeLists list owners.  It contains important updates about
 changes to FreeLists services.  For subscription information,
 please see the bottom of this email.
===

...but we're back.

What follows is the "word on the street," so do take this with a grain of
salt.  I just want everyone out there to know what I know: Atlink, a major
mid-west DSL provider is going out of business, and today closed offices
and laid off their employees in Indianapolis (where FreeLists is/was
hosted).  According to one unofficial report, Atlink's upstream service
providers pulled the plug on their circuits, effectively taking them off
the map.  This is all a result, supposedly, of a major Indianapolis
customer going bankrupt, leaving Atlink short several million dollars.
Check the tech news tomorrow and Friday - official confirmation of this
should be coming out eventually.

Obviously, this had some negative effects on our services.  We experienced
about a 4-hour outage while I fought back and forth on the phone with our
ISP (who has been quite helpful through this), and other local networking
companies, trying to come up with another solution.  The quickest
resolution was to move FreeLists back to its old network, so we put that
into effect.

Basically, that puts us back where we were last Friday, before moving to
our "new network," which today was essentially ripped out from under us.
Along with the move goes the secondary downtime of waiting for DNS records
to update, which should be done by tomorrow morning for most.

We are currently exploring other networking avenues -- we're obviously a
bit hesitant to go with DSL again, but it has served us well in the past,
and considering the cost of other solutions, we may have to use it again.
FreeLists will continue to run, we'll find a way to keep it going.  On the
slate right now are DSL solutions from 2CoolWeb/Covant and a
fractional/full T1 from our current "new network" ISP.  If anyone has any
other suggestions or ideas, we're open to them!

Please bear with us while things get sorted out.  This ordeal was as much
of a surprise to us as anyone, so there was little to do but ride out the
storm.  If anyone has any questions or concerns, please feel free to voice
them on freelists-users or to me directly.

Thanks,
  John

- FreeLists Staff