[ztebladeopensource] RE: [ztebladeopensource] 答复: [ztebladeopensource] Re: About Flash Lock

  • From: Robert Morgan <robertmorgan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ztebladeopensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 10:51:21 +0000

That's great to hear you will be open and continue to support us!

As the the flash lock, i guess that Quallcomm are your people for that, they
must have the option, I assume you can re-compile the code on the Modem
partitions so you could maybe add a public/private key check on the contents of
bootloader partition into that?
Regards
Rob

To: ztebladeopensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: sebastian.robinson@xxxxxxxxxx; ztebladeopensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxx;
ztebladeopensource-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; ying.ben@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ztebladeopensource] 答复: [ztebladeopensource] Re: About Flash Lock
From: xiebin@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 17:10:01 +0800

Hi, Robert
        It is a requirement from a Mobile Operator.  They put many their
services on our handset. So they hope user to use their service and can not
remove it. I heard Huawei has realize this function in his IDEOS series. So we
just ask if this info is correct.
        "It has been noticed that some of the newer Orange San Francisco phones
have had the ability to get into the Bootloader by holding down Vol + when
powering on removed, is this a first step towards it? "
        No. it is nothing with it. Flash lock will only used in few countries
which is mandatory by mobile operator. We will always be open. We appreciate
your work and will always support you.

Regards
xiebin

Robert Morgan <robertmorgan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
发件人:  ztebladeopensource-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
2011-03-03 15:54

请答复 给
ztebladeopensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

收件人
<ztebladeopensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sebastian.robinson@xxxxxxxxxx>

抄送

主题
[ztebladeopensource] Re: About Flash Lock

Hi Ben, why do you ask?

Manufacturers such as Motorola (except in the US!) sometimes lock the flahs on
their phones so that custom ROMs cannot be loaded, however this approach is
flawed for a number of reasons...

1. There is no real need to prevent people doing what they want with their own
property
2. It's generally fixing a problem that doesn't exist, unless there are huge
numbers of people returning phones which they have broken, why bother (and if
they are returning phones that they have broken then they either wont be
covered by warranty or will be easily fixed using manufacturer flashing tools).
3. Hackers generally find a way around any security anyway so why would a
manufacturer increase their costs (losing competitive edge) by implementing
such a thing
4. It makes the phones less popular, people will simply move to the next new
manufacturer who doesn't lock their phones.

It has been noticed that some of the newer Orange San Francisco phones have had
the ability to get into the Bootloader by holding down Vol + when powering on
removed, is this a first step towards it?  If so I hope that ZTE will
reconsider this move, the whole point of Android is that it's open to encourage
innovation, just look at the Blade now, we already have Gingerbread running on
it and there is even a Honeycomb port up and running, this is all great news
for ZTE!

Regards
Rob

To: sebastian.robinson@xxxxxxxxxx
CC: ztebladeopensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ztebladeopensource] About Flash Lock
From: ying.ben@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 11:20:02 +0800

Hi guys, is there anybody know Flash Lock?

That means smartphone with locked ROM, and users cannot flash their smartphone
with customized rom?
ZTE Information Security Notice: The information contained in this mail is
solely property of the sender's organization. This mail communication is
confidential. Recipients named above are obligated to maintain secrecy and are
not permitted to disclose the contents of this communication to others.
you have received this email in error please notify the originator of the
message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender.
This message has been scanned for viruses and Spam by ZTE Anti-Spam system.